Tuesday, August 13, 2013

That is the last time we take directions from a squirrel! (we lost our area map...)

Dear fam!

Questions: Is the catholic church starting to baptize by immersion? Will you send me conversiones to the metric system...

 To join the rest, I too found ice cream on Mom`s birthday. It cost me 30 pesos and finally after daily planning I got it out and accidentally dropped it breaking the container and spilling its contents onto the floor, but don´t worry we salvaged it. It only meant we had to eat it all in one sitting, but the sisters in my pension didn't mind one bit!

So this week has been crazy. The zonda came through which is this really warm wind that likes to knock down the giant trees that line all the roads. School was canceled and everything closed. We were not allowed to leave our pension unless we had planned appointments, lucky for us that was one of the few days where we had a crazy amount of lessons planned. I think I would have gone crazy having to stay inside all day. And everyone let us in too. It was great! Guess being cooped up in a house all day humbles people. 

Our ward mission leader is Hno. L..... He is a 73 year old man that was baptized 2.5 years ago. He loves coming with us to lessons and has the biggest heart! He still crys every time he talks about his wife. He always says the only reason he is still alive is so that he can do the work of the Lord until he has enough money to go to Buenos Aires and do the saving ordinances for him and his wife. He reminds me a lot of Elder Richard G. Scott. Just so sincere and genuine. 

I had an eye opening experience this week, so spiritual! Our 5th lesson to fall through on Saturday was our investigator who had her date to be baptized next Saturday, she dropped us telling us she new the Book of Mormon was true but her Father being an Evangelical pastor, it would be too hard to get baptized and she asked us never to come back. As I walked away discouraged I began to pick apàrt my day or my missionary style to see if there was something contrary to the teachings of Christ. I began to pray as we walked asking God if I was doing something wrong. And if not, why I am I not seeing the success that comes from giving my all! I was reprimanded by the spirit as the thought came strongly "This work isn´t about you." All of a sudden I saw a glimpse of the bigger picture. I did not come on my mission for "success", I came on my mission to invite and help other people to Christ, and sometimes I forget that we have a loving Heavenly Father, and elder brother, Jesus Christ, who love these people more than I do. And They want these people of Argentina to return Their presence more then even I do. My role as a missionary is to open my mouth, bear what I know to be the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, and then wait upon the Lord. If I am honoring my covenants, keeping the commandments I will never have a reason to be disappointed. For this work isn´t about me, it is so much bigger, so much better and yet I have been called of God to be a part of it! Man, I am so lucky!

Love ya! 
Hna. Amanda Ray Hill

O and my address is (hint hint!)
Sister Amanda Ray Hill
Mision Mendoza Argentina
Cabildo Abierto 161
Godoy Cruz 5501
Argentina 


I found the cutest puppy! Man having all these scary dogs everywhere still has not healed my desire to have a dog... 

This is the sunrise I get to see outside my window during personal study


No comments:

Post a Comment