Monday, May 20, 2013

Go... catch a chicken


Dear Family!

This week has been a week of firsts/ adventures. Jordan, remember how you gave me a letter the day I went into the MTC on the back of your Physics homework? Well I found it last week and read it and most definitely followed your advice along with the advice of Prez. McGinn and possibly even Bishop Misbach about being myself. And I have found the more I make my companion laugh the more we get done. And there is great power from the stark difference from being light and funny and then bearing a powerful testimony with all my heart and soul. People tend to listen and really feel what I am saying.

We built a part of a house this week. It was fun it took me back to Aunt Jenises house and hours of putting up siding. Turns out I still rock at using a hammer but barely lost to Elder Harvey in a serious hammering competition. I ended getting burned bad and looked like a raccoon for the rest of the week due to my safety glasses and hard hats. (Also reason for no pictures... That and the fact that I left the camera at home).

We taught English at a refugee center this week and it was hilarious. Our zone leaders told us they were not going to make it so we showed up they handed us a text book and showed us our class of 20. There were from 9 different countries and spoke 13 different languages. Needless to say by the end of the lesson I had my charades skill tuned to perfection.

I had my first zone conference and exchanges. I slept in a bed for the first time on my mission and it felt so nice! I love white people but I am so glad I am working with the Hispanic population. Exchanges were amazing though. I learned so much. And thank goodness to the willingness of my companion but we have completely changed how we plan and I have loved the results so far. On exchanges I taught in English and used my English scriptures. I was able to use all kinds of words but have also realized how strong of a testimony I have of the Libro De Mormon. I mean the Book of Mormon is true and is evident while reading it, but the Libro de Mormon is just so beautiful and perhaps it is the fact of how slow I must read it and the effort I need to put into each study but I have found much inspiration in that book during my mission.

Oh! Mom, Aaron and Jenny, and Grandma and Grandpa! Thank you so much for the packages. I got them at zone conference! And Maddy.... after zone conference I was sending the packages back to my home as I went on exchanges and my companion opened your present for me and read it aloud. Everyone laughed and I turned bright red and was completely embarrassed. I hope you are happy! Don't worry... I laughed too...

One of the highlights of my mission has been teaching Do. and his family. I think I told you that we dropped him a while ago because he wasn't progressing but about 2 weeks ago he called us and asked us to come back promising that he would change. Ever since then he has mostly followed through with commitments. Every time we go over his whole family and neighbors listen. Two nights ago we stopped by and Do. wasn't there but his family welcomed us in and De. made all the children sit down to listen. I haven't had that much fun teaching a lesson  in a long time. By the end we had 8 children ages 3-6, 4 children 8-13, and about 8 adults all crowded into the living room of an apartment. We talked about commandments and described the relationship between us and God as we keep them by interlocking two books of Mormon. The children laughed as parents red faced tried to tear the books apart. (thank goodness for the phone book episode on mythbusters.....)

We taught S. J. y C. the Plan of Salvation again but this timed focused on their ultimate goal of being sealed as a family in the temple. I have taught this lesson a couple times but it had never been as powerful as this one. They are so ready to be baptized. I cannot wait. I am so blessed!!

Church was alright. I always get frustrated when we invite people to church and high counsel people come to speak and they speak in English and don't have anyone to translate. I really shouldn't get frustrated. I am far to judgmental. Upon talking to one of the investigators he told me not to worry, he could feel it in his heart. If only I could be as pure as my investigators. It is a work in progress. High light of church was seeing S. face as his friend that he refered to us came to church. I didn't realize the power that comes as investigators teach other investigators. I understand that testimonies increase when shared. I guess from the beginning I should have had investigators come with us to teach other investigators the whole time.

So much happened this week but I don't have time to write all. I am so happy! Thank you for your prayers! And next week I find out if I am in the Fort Collins mission or Denver North. Hahaha!! I might get to serve three missions. HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE!!

The Gospel is true.

Life is wonderful.

Yours Truly!


No comments:

Post a Comment