Monday, June 10, 2013

The Fun Square with Rounded Edges

Dearest Family!!
Last week I felt like I had absolutely nothing to write and now I feel like have at least a trilogies worth of stories. But last Monday I promised that I would spend some of the next Monday repenting and writing hand written letters so I will try to make it shorter.
First off, have fun in Peru Dad, Cam, Seth, and Mads. Happy Birthday Emily!!! I am still upset that you decided to come visit the family when I wasn't home. But I love you lots... Cam I cannot believe you turn 14 today!! You are so old!! And Aaron your birthday is in just 4 days!! Do you have 4 kids yet or still 3 and 8/9ths.
This week was one miracle after another. Our ward has this program called the 5,5,5. And supposedly it will get the point where we are teaching 15 less active families. Oh and I actually I did the math this week. 60.8% of the ward is inactive and 73% of the Hispanic people are inactive. Anywho, we are teaching the A. family. Her husband is a non-member, and she has two children are non-members and the other 3 children are just inactive. The lesson we had on Tuesday was one of the most spiritual lessons I have had on my mission. Toward the end I shared the experience of reading the Book of Mormon in two weeks my freshman year of college and testified of the power of change it had in my life and truthfulness of the Book. Hermana A. took the precious Book of Mormon in her hand and look me in the eye and said. "I want that change." After realizing that the Libro De Mormon was about 100 pages longer than the Book of Mormon we came to the conclusion that she would read 30 pages a day to finish the Book in 3 weeks. This indeed was a miracle but even more my Companion that doesn't really like to speak in lessons spoke up and promised that if she would read 30 pages a day we would too. I then committed both Hermana A. and Sister Seaborn the Libro De Mormon in 3 weeks.
Oh man where do I even begin.... So for my hour of personal study I read the Book of Mormon out loud. The 2nd half of Companionship study I read it out loud and then the hour of language study I read out loud. And though it has only been a couple 5 days it has made the world of difference particularly in my companion. At first she told me that Hna. A wouldn't follow through with her commitment and so she wasn't as dedicated to reading.  We have visited Hna. A. a lot and our first visit back I told her excitedly that I was on page 82 and asked her how it was going. She then smiled at me and said 3 pages. I then tried to follow prez. Hollands Counsel and she cleared up my "devastation" by saying. "No hna. Estoy en pajina 85. 3 mas de tu." It was beautiful! She then started explaining dreams she was having and started shooting off questions.
My companion then realized she needed to catch up. And how she has changed.... My first day with her she informed me that we would never go tracting. Guess who went tracting on Saturday!!  Instead of previous questions and comments she started to ask me how and why I was so motivated, and yesterday we had a solid heart to heart and she let it slip that she was starting to love her mission! She is starting to say stuff in lessons and it is beautiful how tangible the change is in our companionship. The Book of Mormon is true and there is a power within the pages of that Book that cannot be found anywhere else! Oh goodness!!
Man... Quickly.... So we have a giant list of less actives. We have been stopping by people on that list all week. On Friday we stopped by the C. and when a woman answered the door we explained we were the new missionaries in the ward and we were just introducing ourselves to members on the ward list. She asked us if we wanted to come in side. We accepted and began to talk to her. We did pleasantries for a while and ever since a couple weeks ago I have tried to set the stage by focusing really hard on different "how to begin teaching" points. I asked a question about Christ and him being the center of our lives and she responded and wide eyed I found out that this was not the less active we had thought but now a new investigator that is ready to listen. When I asked her why she let us in so quickly she responded, "My husband died two years ago and today I was so sad and prayed to God to send me someone to talk to. When you knocked at my door I saw God in your eyes and let you in." After going back to the car I realized that the C. that used to live there were actually active and we should have never really stopped at her house. I love this work. I love the Book of Mormon. And the best part is that it is just going to get better cause we have hundreds of pages to still read!!
Love you lots! Thanks for the prayers they mean the world to me! Thanks for the emails!
The gospel is true.
Life is wonderful!
Hna Hill




No comments:

Post a Comment