Thursday, May 8, 2014

Amanda's Letter

Dearest Family,

Feliz 5 de mayo!! I celebrated by stilling some Mexican candy from Elder Garcia yesterday during leadership meeting!! Love spicy candy!! And I got my hands on some legit Mexican spices for tacos. Hay carramba!! 

Oh, what time is Ryan calling yáll for mothers day? Don´t want to crash the party, I will call on Saturday for cinco minutos and we can figure that all out then. All I ask is answer the phone... (not like the airport Mom, just kidding! I love your guts!) 

This week was weird. We had consejo and we ended up spending about 2.5 days in Mendoza. I got really good at medical translating though. Right when I was filling confident with my Spanish they through me another whole line of vocabulary. And before you get the idea that I am dying of some exotic parasite you should know that 1. this is Argentina and their is hardly anything exotic. 2. That would be my companion whose suffering from parasites 3. Really the nurse has been in the U.S. for the last couple of weeks so I ended up translating everything to help her catch up. Next day was President Avila last zone conference so we only really worked 3 days this week. 

I have this really complex thought process that I will try to write down. During Zone conference an Elder I had worked with at the beginning of my mission got up to give his last testimony. When I had worked with him he was not exactly obedient and it was sad for me to see him waste so much of his mission. But as he stood to speak I was amazed by how much he had changed in the last 4 or 5 transfers. The spirit testified powerfully, and taught with his heart. At that moment I realized that he would be returning a hero. He had served a full mission, and from what I could see, he would leave reconciled by the grace of our Savior and, thus, would leave perfect. 

This week ´´give us this day our daily bread´´ really caught my attention and as I was thinking about this and in relation to the manna that the children of Israel gathered daily I couldn´t help but think of this Elder, and who we are really comes on a daily basis. It goes both ways. It doesn´t matter how disobedient you were yesterday you can repent and receive your daily bread for that day. And it doesn´t matter how hard I work I cannot save my bread for tomorrow. With the sound of the alarm I must wake and give my all, yet again. It was slightly disheartening at the moment I came to that realization. That the work never stops. That there is never a break. That even when I am released I still need to stand in the face of opposition and I know that if I keep doing what I am doing I will never receive a break. So why do we jump out of bed when the alarm rings? Why to we continue to serve when we are rejected? Why to we continue to cry with those that mourn knowing that they probably will choose to cry even if there are reasons to laugh? Why do you continue to love your children even though they never listen to what you say? Because we show our love to God by being obedient. Because the faith to build must be followed by the diligence to maintain. Because we know that in order to live (spiritually) we must collect our daily manna. And in order to live joyfully now and for forever we must be spiritually alive.

The gospel is true. I testify of that. And because it is true, life is wonderful.

Love,

Hermana Hill


No comments:

Post a Comment